VF 20™ Application Techniques for Concrete Substrates
1. Prior to application of VF-20 primer insure that all concrete surfaces are prepared to SSPC SP13/NACE No. 6, Surface Preparation of Concrete standard.
2. Concrete and masonry surfaces must be dry. Moisture content of concrete surface to be less than 5.0% when tested with a Tramex Concrete Moisture Encounter.
3. Spray, squeegee or roll primer at 130 to 200 square feet per gallon over surfaces to receive coating system. Coverage rates will vary depending on porosity of concrete. Allow primer to tack but not lift before spraying (1 – 4 hours depending on temperature).
4. For best results, mix 1 part A, to 1 part B, then thin with Acetone or MEK up to 33%. Apply at a uniform rate using airless sprayer, squeegee or roller. Areas with excessive primer absorption should be recoated until uniform film coverage is achieved. Back rolling wet primer with roller will help reduce pinholes.
5. Reapply thin coat of primer at half original coverage rate if open time exceeds 24 hours.
6. Test prepared surface using Elcometer adhesion testing (ASTM D 4541). Minimum pull strength is 150 psi and failure in concrete substrate.